Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Little Bragging

Well, it's that time of year again. The kids win some major awards. Mom graduates again. You know the drill in this house. We're all just a bunch of overachievers.

Hayden
Hayden has become quite an impressive vocalist. We had no idea he had developed this talent until he came to us in the third grade and said, "I'm gonna be in the talent show!" "Oh, really? What's your talent?" "I'm going to sing." "Really? That'll be interesting." And then he belted out this country song (of all things... Let's just say that was totally his own doing) and sounded like a total pro! Since then, he has put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in to honing his craft. We even had a lady in our ward who sings professionally for movies and T.V. approach us to see if we were interested in getting him active in Hollywood for voice-overs, etc.

But the biggest accomplishment to date was his participation in a scholarship program through the Kiwanis Club. Out of all the middle schoolers in all the choirs in all the schools, he placed fifth in the district. It was one of those moments that had me so engrossed, I completely forgot to press record on the camera. The payoff was that I was so enraptured, I was brought to tears by his surprisingly mature voice, but I didn't get to show the world this amazing performance. So during the Spring concert, I made sure I got his solo performance from the "Newsies" medley. He's the little guy with the microphone that disappears as soon as everybody else stands up.


Nathan
Nathan has been in one of the best high school music programs on the planet, in my humble opinion. At his Spring pops concert, the various orchestras played the scores from movies like Harry Potter, Spiderman, Avatar, and Star Wars. We even got visited by Darth Vader and his Imperial Storm Trooper guards. It was awesome! Every one of the upper level orchestras could play professionally. We are sad that Nathan will not have a chance to build on that experience in public school any more. If we could commute him to SAMOHI just for the music program after we move, it would almost be worth it. I don't think there are any orchestra programs at the schools in Santa Rosa. We'll have to look privately if he is to continue fostering this growing talent.

At the last performance, the teachers honored two or three members from each of the orchestra groups. As they announced the winner for the Strings Orchestra (the beginning level group that Nathan is in), the teacher said, "This violinist is such a hard worker. He's the first to open his violin case when he gets to class. He practices at school, at home, everywhere!" And Wayne and I both silently thought to ourselves, "Well, it can't be Nathan." "...And the recipient for outstanding musician is Nathaniel Van Cleave." *applause, applause* ...and then Wayne, in his astonishment shouts an audible, "WHAT?!?" Yeah. We're such good parents. We totally believe in our kids' abilities.

Shana
And as for me, I had a fake graduation last week. It was all the pomp and circumstance of a real graduation, but the kicker here was that I had to go back to work the next day. When I opened my "diploma," it was blank inside. They're holding it ransom for another month and a half of work to ensure that the patients don't suffer while we go through the transition to the incoming class. But it was lots of fun to see all the family and enjoy their amazing support. My mom was crying like she did at my wedding, she was so proud. Chad was cheering so loud, I was considered the most popular graduate by my peers. (People thought I had brought an entire entourage, and 14 spectators was kind of a lot... But really, it was just that Chad is VERY loud! It was hilarious and absolutely made my day.)

Then we went to the Cheesecake Factory to be gluttons. And that was where I got teared up as I looked around the table at my dearest supporters: Wayne, who essentially gave up his career for the advancement of mine, Nathan, who has shared his birthday weekend with me every two or three years as I hog the glory for yet another commencement, and Hayden, who has no memory of his Mom outside of her studies. I recalled going in to a counselor at Palomar College as I approached the time to transfer to a four year university. As she looked at my GPA, she said, "So where do you want to go? Harvard? Stanford? You could pretty much have your pick." When I told her I had a family to consider and was hoping to go on to pediatric dentistry, she changed her tune. "Well, with a family, you can't do that! That's, like, another 10 years of school." But I knew with my cheering section, I could. AND I did it in, like, another 8 years of school. So take that, Mrs. Naysayer Palomar College Counselor Woman. *insert raspberry noise here* So, thanks to these folks (picture below) and a host of other wonderful supporters, I am nearing the end of a decade of higher education.
Woo Hoo!!!


Wayne
While he doesn't get his own graduation or awards ceremony, his biggest achievement is surviving his overachieving family and making all of this possible. I joke and say he is the wind beneath my wings (because he absolutely despises that song), but it's true. I couldn't have done any of this without you. Well, maybe I could have, but my kids would be juvenile delinquents by now. Thank you for keeping them out of jail, kicking their butts when they needed it, and kissing their boo-boos (in a very manly way, of course) when I couldn't. You have spent most of this past decade doing my favorite job, and you've done wonderfully. Our boys are very lucky that they got the chance to be brought up by a very devoted Dad during their formative years. I love you so much, Baby!

5 comments:

Christine said...

Hey every mom is entitled to a little bragging now and then. And it sounds like you guys earned it. Wow, what accomplishments, especially Wayne. It takes a lot to be the "backstage support". I totally get that. :)

Di said...

Honestly, I'm so proud of you and all your boys Shana. Love you guys!

Di said...

...just finished watching Hayden's performance- SO amazing! What a beautiful voice he has!

Annalisa said...

wayne--you must be doing lots right to be part of such a cool family! awesome.

Unknown said...

I just came over from Wayne's blog. Wayne and I grew up together. I love him. What a sweetie you married.

I just found it so funny that you follow Solomon Surprises because Chrys Solomon is one of my fav's. It's a small small world.

Congrats on your major educational accomplishment. I completely admire your ambition and brain. I wish I had it in my, but I was very much the Wayne for my hubby who recently got his JDMBA.

I hope you are loving your new career.

And yes you are so fortunate to have a good hubby and father all in one. How awesome for your boys to know that their dad is always there. I can't think of any more perfect arrangement...yeah for the people who don't conform to imagined norms. You guys are inspiring.

I have the world's worst memory, so if I know you or have met you before, I apologize. You do look familiar in your photos.

Add yourself to the guestbook

You don't have to have a blogger account to sign in, and it takes but a moment to complete. I can't wait to see all the different places that pop up on the map! If you have a picture to upload, please do so. This will be a great way to remember all the family and friends that keep spreading out accross the globe and to see who stops by for a random visit. Welcome to our blog.