Except... I was a slumlord.
- 93 units of low income housing.
- Mustard yellow facade. Avocado green stoves.
- Roaches that would rain down from the door jams when you inevitably had to kick in the doors for evictions.
- Gunshots and sirens in the neighborhood almost every night.
- Taggers marking their territory.
- Having to call CPS on families neglecting and/or abusing their kids.
- Kicking out drug dealers, pimps and hos... some who proudly sharpen their machetes on the front porch on the night you deliver the eviction notice.
- Helping a tenant fax their release of liability to the Jerry Springer show, on which they are proudly scheduled to appear the following week.
- Car getting keyed and all tires slashed the night before Christmas Eve.
- Gang-bangers screaming in your face while your toddler looks on from his stroller... Screaming back at said gang-banger for getting in your grill in front of your baby... Gang-banger stomping away.
- Pregnant and climbing into an overflowing dumpster to stomp down the brimming trash in order to keep it from spilling into the parking lot.
- Picking up used condoms off the playground.
- Calling the cops on the crazy old lady threatening to kill herself.
- Chasing nasty people out of the pool "doing it" in broad daylight.
- Getting sued because your black security guard quitting decided it would be a nice opportunity to cash in on a bogus civil rights claim.
- Wading through 30 years of little-old-lady pack rat memorabilia when her water heater floods her apartment.
- Disciplining tenants who have moved in from Africa for fire-eating on the tennis courts (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried).
- Trying to convince the tenant who lives above the pool that he should not throw bologna in the water to chase away the "evil spirits."
- Coming home from the hospital with your newborn baby and having somebody walk up to you as you gimp out of the car just to inform you that their toilet needs fixing... RIGHT NOW!!!
- 20 year olds telling you that they have "perfect credit" only to find that they had already amassed 34 collection accounts in the two years that they've been allowed to own credit cards.
- Having the FBI rifle through your tenant files after 9/11 because they suspect a sleeper cell is living in your complex.
- Cleaning out human waste from people's bathtubs because the sewage line has backed up into three buildings.
- Telling the two sets of missionaries living in a top floor apartment above the parking lot that it is NOT okay to hurl flatware at passing vehicles.
- Shutting down birthday parties for toddlers because their parents' guests have become drunk and disorderly.
- Catching your security guard and your assistant having an adulterous affair while they are supposed to be on duty.
- Laying out Easter Eggs for a hunt that is to transpire the next morning, only to find that the raccoons have opened all the eggs and eaten the candy inside before sunrise.
- Dragging an 8 year old kid back to his dad's apartment because he was caught "huffing" aerosol cans in the parking lot.
- Convincing an AIDS patient that it was NOT okay to sell his medical marijuana to his neighbors.
- Cleaning out a transvestite's closet who had left town without leaving notice, but neglected to pack his fake boobies and size 14 stiletto heals.
- Opening doors for locked out tenants at 4:00 in the morning.
- Kicking out your neighbors upstairs, which ends in a retaliatory 10-hour heavy metal guitar marathon aimed at your ceiling.
Yup. Those were the days.
12 comments:
Wow, girl! I hadn't even heard ALL those stories! Ain't life fun?
And you neglected to mention that you were what, 20? You ROCK! I could never have done that, not even now, much less when I was just a "kid".
For the record, ALL of this is true.
I was there (not, of course when the gangbanger got in my 5-foot wife's face. You can only imagine how THAT would have turned out. I dare say my temper would have got the better of me. Either I'd not be here today, or there would be one less thug in the world).
But Shana, you forgot that every 4th of July, people would shoot their guns in the air, only to have the bullets rain down in the parking lot.
I did late-night security with our guards, and remember having to duck and cover.
Needless to say, we both developed very thick skin over those few years.
Ahhh, good times.
Thick skin is good for Santa Monica. You'll ward off skin cancer because I hear its sunny there. Wait the smog is probably a good barrier between you and the sun, nevermind.
Geez and I thought the Sock Shop was hardcore!
You know, with my foot phobia, that might actually have been worse, Di.
Boy, you need to get in touch with a major network or something about all your adventures- sounds like great fodder for a reality series! I can't believe you went through all of that; my respect for you has increased even more!
I had no idea you had such a glamorous life back in the day. Had I known, I may have tried to mooch an apartment from you while I could :)
Oh. My. Goodness. This is the best post, not just because of the entertaining writing, but also because it's all true!!! Where in the world were you?! Some scary 3rd world country, or Marin City?
I think it's great that you stopped to document your fond memories. If there is ever a town meeting to see if more low-income housing should be built somewhere, I'm going to call you to testify! Scary stuff.
HAHAHAHAH I think this was my favorite post EVER. You could totally send this to a Hollywood producer and get a movie made. It could be called "Shana slums LA". I would see that for sure.
Escondido felt like a 3rd world country sometimes! Six years in that job almost drove me to drink... Instead, it drove me to get my education so I could have a career that didn't involve transvestites and crazy people!
Oh, wait! I still had to deal with that in dental school!!!
I second this as the raddest blog post ever.
You win. By a landslide. I've had a few psychotic episodes to deal with but NOTHING like that. WOW. I'm even more impressed with you than I was 5 minutes ago. You ROCK!
Post a Comment