Thursday, June 26, 2008

We're In The Same State, Right?

We get asked this question a lot: "Where are you guys from?"
That's a complicated question, as both Wayne and I have lived up and down California, and have recently made the move again. So for those of you who don't know much about the Golden State, I thought I would share with you a little known secret to outsiders...

There are really two Californias: Northern California and Southern California. They are as different as Krispy Kreme and Tofu. So here is my own little guide to those differences.


Transportation:
In No.Cal., you will frequently come across people trying to make a statement with their vehicles. This was a picture we took of a Volkwagon Vanagon that we would see cruising around Marin. Very artistic!








Southern Californians like to make statements with their cars, too. But generally the statement is, "I have more money that you."















And here is another contrast. Northern Californians have A LOT to say... particularly if there is anything liberally biased. I can't tell you how many times we saw "Impeach Bush" bumper stickers. But this picture I stole from Annie Ballard's blog is a very good depiction of the abundance of opinions that are shared via bumper stickers in No.Cal. (Left)

Southern Californians are a bit more understated (Right)









The Coastline:
No.Cal is known for its picturesque, craggy ocean cliffs. The weather is often very chilly, the water is freezing, but the views are astounding. On an average day, a coat or sweater is downright necessary (Left)
So.Cal beaches have gained notoriety for the balmy ocean shores, soft bright sand, and bikini displays on every beach. You are crazy if you have your midriff covered in this "fun in the sun" atmosphere. (Right) Note also how many people are covering the beach compared to No.Cal.












Bralessness (it's a word... look it up): When Northern Californians shun the over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders, it is done as a political movement. Southern Californians don't all need bras because silicone remains fairly perky.











Pets:
Northern Californians are constantly protesting on the behalf of animals all over the world. During my first year of dental school, I had to pass by a sign on Lombard street every day that proudly displayed an aborted sheep fetus that some clothing manufacturer had somehow managed to cause to occur. (I won't even go into the hypocrisy in that billboard.) Basically, No.Cal has a funny "Pets are People" policy. Southern Californians have made pets into the latest fashion accessory.











Finally (and most importantly), how do both regions view trannies? As you may know, transvestites are a fairly common part of San Francisco living. I think I saw at least one just about every day I was in the city. Some were over-the-top flamboyant; some were "feminist-chic" wherein the he/she would wear everyday casual girl clothes but were so obviously dudes; others managed to pull it off quite nicely, and you would do a double take as soon as she spoke and sounded like Barry White. But here in L.A., the trannies are fierce, as demonstrated by Brad Pitt's fabulocity in this picture. Now there is a man comfortable with his manhood!











So to answer the question, where are we from?

Wayne was born in No.Cal (Vallejo), left the state (Hawaii), did most of his growing up in So.Cal (Carlsbad), moved up to No.Cal in high school and early college (Cobb Mountain/Santa Rosa).

I was born in So.Cal (Santa Monica), did most of my growing up in No.Cal (Santa Rosa/Sacramento), left the state (Georgia), came back to No. Cal for college, married Wayne, moved to So.Cal for 12 years, moved back up to No.Cal for dental school, moved back down to Santa Monica for post-grad residency, and will finally settle back up in No.Cal in two years.

Got it?

14 comments:

Candice said...

What an entertaining post- you kill me. :) Congratulations Shauna and the VanCleave family on graduation and getting settled in your new place- it looks great! So happy for you guys.

Rhonda said...

I am laughing so hard right now. You are so RIGHT about the two California's. We too have family up and state the Golden State...but let's make it perfectly clear; BOTH think they are superior to the other and there is no lack of "free spirits" on either end!

We LOVE San Francisco and would LOVE to settle in San Luis Obispo(sp), if we could afford that, but alas...we chose the second HIGHEST cost of living county in the Nation!

Welcome to Fairfield County, CT! Are we any less loony?

Oh Yay!

Tracy said...

Perfect. You nailed it. Now, the real question.. which is better?

Christine said...

Loved the post but I disagree a bit. There are 3 Californias North, Central and South. Marin is Central CA. The real Northern CA is full of farmers, trucks, orchards and conservatives.

Di said...

California is exceedingly diverse. When people hear I grew up in California they automatically asume I was a super-hip, city-savvy beach bum...Not exactly. Northern California is one thing, and then there's Cobb.

Wayneman said...

Christine, California extends further north than Marin?

Shanana said...

Well, it does... but it sort of blends with Oregon in a billowy pot smokin' haze.

Mommalynne said...

Yep, ain't life fun! Good observations. so true.

Anonymous said...

Har har (=P). The two Californias I've lived in differ GREATLY from each other. The driving, the age difference (in the populus), the bumper stickers, the political stand point, the climate, the environment, the blah blah blah BLAH. The list goes on and on. I can't help but feel like they're two different countries in the same state.

Shanana said...

Did my son just use the word "populus" correctly in a sentence?

Angie said...

Yeah, when people here in So. CA ask where I grew up and I tell then NORTHERN Ca, they all go "Ohhhhhhhh...." Suddenly it all makes sense.

mb said...

THANK you! I lay claim to So. Cal as where I grew up but after 9 years in "S.F" it's fun to say we've "been there."

Annalisa said...

well, we'll be glad to have you in So. Cali. for two years.

Natalie N said...

You hit EVERY nail on the head with this post, Shana! I am laughing so hard because everyone of them is true. After reading about the silicone and flashy cars I just don't know if I want to do So Cal in the future. But do I really want to stay up here with the braless hippies?!

Hope you're enjoying your residency! Thanks for the never-ending entertainment on your blog.

Add yourself to the guestbook

You don't have to have a blogger account to sign in, and it takes but a moment to complete. I can't wait to see all the different places that pop up on the map! If you have a picture to upload, please do so. This will be a great way to remember all the family and friends that keep spreading out accross the globe and to see who stops by for a random visit. Welcome to our blog.