Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Facebook Has Sucked My Soul.

For the first time since I have started this blog, I have had so very little to say. As I go throughout the day on most days, I can find something that happens to me or my family that is blog-worthy. Or, at the very least, I can come up with something to reminisce/muse about. But of late... ZIP... ZILCH... NADA. The well has run dry, people! My mind is the freaking Sahara. I'm even out of tags. Who runs out of tags, I ask? I think I have posted about 632 random facts about me, my husband, my children, my former jobs, what I have done throughout the day, etc. on any number of tags... Not that it was ever interesting in the first place, but at least it got the creative juices flowing and I might be able to work in a bit of humor that would satisfy the blogging beast.

*Tap, tap, tap* Is this thing on? Does anybody even check this blog anymore?

Perhaps if I just start typing, something witty and/or profound will emerge.

.....

Nope. Still a barren dessert.

.....

What is a girl to do? Perhaps it's Facebook that is to blame. Maybe my creative juices have shriveled and died thanks to an endless stream of third person entries about my days: i.e. "Shana has spent another day wrestling kids into the dental chair." "Shana has two very noisy children. She is contemplating sewing their lips shut." "Shana doesn't care about American Idol this year. She is just happy Tatiana's histrionics didn't get her any further." "Shana needs chocolate."

Hey! That sounds tasty. Maybe that will grease the wheels a bit. Pardon me for a moment...

...

Aaaaah! Delicious, and perhaps a bit inspiring. I will attempt to ramble while enjoying the sweet and savory meltiness of my favorite vice slowly dissolving on my palate.

...

So anyways... Back to Facebook... Ever since I joined, I have had a blogger breakdown. I know other people who are able to successfully do both. For me, it almost seems they are mutually exclusive. Which sucks, because I have a need for both. Facebook has its place because satisfies my curiosity about what distant friends/ family/ acquaintances/ people I went to school with/ people that used to stalk me/ people I haven't laid eyes on since before puberty/ etc. are up to now. Let's be honest. You aren't REALLY going to develop any deep bonds through 150 characters or less at any given post on somebody's wall. It's just fun to see how things turned out for people.

Blogging, on the other hand, allows for a personality to come through. For instance, someone perusing my Facebook profile may never find out how cynical and biting my sense of humor can be. They will likely never know how I muse about pomegranates and my former days as a playground bully. Visit my blog, and that becomes glaringly apparent. Bottom line: I am much more "me" on here than on my "Wall."

So where did I go? Where is that personality of which I speak? Has she defected to the shallow world of online social networking? Will she forever stay in this rut of speaking of herself in third person? AAAAAAAAARGH! I/She can't stop doing it?!?

She'll be back someday soon, I'm sure. But for now, she is going to raid the chocolate again in a shallow attempt at assuaging her bitter disappointment of a lame and pointless post that went nowhere. Forgive her.

14 comments:

ClancyPants said...

HAHAHaHAhhahahhahahahahahahahhhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhhhhhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaAAA

NOt only do I forgive you, but I love yoU!!! THat post was hilarious only because it's oh-so-painfully-true.

ClancyPants said...

Did I just declare myself? Yep. Yep, I did. I love this here Shana's blog. :) It makes me laugh every time. And you can take that to the bank.

Tracy said...

See now THAT's a real blog post! Congrats!

Christina said...

Oh, Shana. I think you're back. But I totally agree with you. My brain doesn't have enough capacity to maintain both a blog and an exciting facebook page. I feel your pain.

Cox Family said...

Maybe there is something going around because I'm at the same point. Unfortunately I am out of chocolate to help me, maybe I need to go to the store....

Christine said...

I still read your blog every time something new is posted. I think it is true that success on Facebook and blogging are mutually exclusive.

Wayneman said...

Shanabug, LOVED this post ;)

Di said...

Facebook is the devil.

I have missed your blog-posts, but I understand. You're a pretty busy little bee, and facebook doesn't take half the energy or time that blogging does.

Caleb's Co. said...

OK, about 5 minutes ago I was opening yet another invite to Facebook, and was contemplating...should I, or shouldn't I? I have been an anti-Facebook-ite thus far, but peer pressure to join is so difficult to fight...

This post just sealed the deal...

NO WAY!!!

Love you. Glad you're back (kind of).

Mommalynne said...

Shana,
Never give up! We NEED your posts and musings to get through this increasingly slogged-up life.
I just finished filing my income tax and ANY post feels good to my poor tired brain! but yours are entertaining at least and profound at best. I've been missing you. I never get to see you anymore!

Anonymous said...

So I just joined facebook this year and MAN it can be such a time waster! I've decided to make it a once a week deal...wheras my blog... I post whenever I get cute pics or insperation...and no guilt! At the end of the year I print my blog into a book/ journal/ scrapbook/ snap shot of our family for the year...and I can even chalk it up to personal history! Good luck finding the balance in your life!
Sasha

Annalisa said...

forgiven.

Annette Tanner said...

You bring happiness to my life Shana! I love you on facebook and your blog...

Annie said...

How's that for candid and transparent! I loved it. I think we've all been in that, "I lack something important to say" rut. In the end, it's all about journaling and personal therapy. It looks like you accomplished both with this post. Congratulations! :)

Add yourself to the guestbook

You don't have to have a blogger account to sign in, and it takes but a moment to complete. I can't wait to see all the different places that pop up on the map! If you have a picture to upload, please do so. This will be a great way to remember all the family and friends that keep spreading out accross the globe and to see who stops by for a random visit. Welcome to our blog.