Sunday, May 11, 2008

One of my Favorite Mother's Day Moments

When Nathan was around 5 or 6 years old, he took it upon himself to join in on the tried and true Mother's Day tradition of bringing Mom breakfast in bed. Wayne had purchased yummy food to be cooked that morning, but he was apparently too slow for Nathan. At the crack of dawn (and I mean at the butt crack of dawn... It was E A R L Y!), Nathan comes in with a breakfast tray, brown liquid sloshed all over, a neatly folded napkin already absorbing the stray chocolate beverage. A tall glass, brimming with chunky, frothy fluid sits proudly on the tray. He says to me, beaming, "Mommy, I made you a Slim Fast with EXTRA chocolate in it!" How can one turn down such enthusiasm? I chewed that Slim Fast with complete disregard for the gourmet ingredients that sat unused in the fridge. This breakfast in bed was straight from the heart and the first of many from my very own son.

This morning, I sit like a princess locked away in her tower: certain that I will be allowed out of my bedchamber once my little princes release me with their heartfelt creations. I can smell the aromas of another homemade masterpiece wafting from the downstairs kitchen. I can hear the clinking of cutlery and the slam of the microwave door as I sit in anticipation. What are my boys creating today?

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh BOY you were right! That looks delicious! Too bad they don't make you that every morning!

Di said...

I love this post Shana- my nephews are so sweet!

Rhonda said...

Hey, I was the recipient of Maple Frosted Donuts from Dunkin Donuts. My fav... and then I had a big glass of Diet Coke brought to me on a tray at 7AM. I LOVE my kids more than ever, especially on Mother's Day.

Our children truly give us what they know we like. I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

Annalisa said...

happy mother's day. i was just glad we made it to church and didn't sleep in the hallway. the boys don't seem to sleep the night before a holiday...can't wait for christmas.

Lainie said...

Kendall and the girls do the same for me on Mother's day. Mine was so great - I didn't want it to end! What a sweet thing it is to be loved and to love. How did your royal feast taste???

Shanana said...

It was as delectable as it was beautiful. I will never forget that unique flavoring. The boys are both so creative.

They created this meal a l l by t h e m s e l v e s!

Mommalynne said...

They are so adorable! I used to get breakfast in bed too. Treasure the years. And thanks for sharing them with me!

Natalie N said...

Awww... "with EXTRA chocolate!" That is the cutest story of all time!! What darling boys you have! Happy late mom's day to you.

Katie said...

Boy, I am counting down till the day my kids can cook and serve me in bed. It will make motherhood all worthwhile. . .

Add yourself to the guestbook

You don't have to have a blogger account to sign in, and it takes but a moment to complete. I can't wait to see all the different places that pop up on the map! If you have a picture to upload, please do so. This will be a great way to remember all the family and friends that keep spreading out accross the globe and to see who stops by for a random visit. Welcome to our blog.